The building in which the Storehouse lies was constructed in 1902 as a fermentation plant for the St. James’s Gate Brewery (yeast is added to the brew). It was developed in the style of the Chicago School of Architecture and was the very first multi-storey steel-framed building to be built in Ireland. The building was used constantly as the fermentation plant of the Brewery till its closure in 1988, when a new fermentation plant was finished near the River Liffey.
In 1997, it was chosen to convert the building into the Guinness Storehouse, changing the Guinness Hop Store as the Brewery’s visitor centre. The redesign of the building was carried out by the UK-based design firm Imagination in conjunction with the Dublin-based architects firm RKD, and the Storehouse opened to the public on 2 December 2000.
In 2006-08 a new wing was established, and Euro 2.5 million was invested in a live technology-driven multi-media setup showing the modern-day developing procedure for Guinness, which was developed by London-based museum design specialist, Occasion Communications.
In May 2011, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip went to the Storehouse as part of a state check out to Ireland. Guinness Storehouse is a traveler destination at St. James’s Gate Brewery in Dublin, Ireland. Given that opening in 2000, it has actually received over twenty million visitors.
The Storehouse covers 7 floors surrounding a glass atrium formed in the form of a pint of Guinness. The ground floor presents the beer’s four ingredients (water, barley, hops and yeast), and the brewery’s founder, Arthur Guinness. Other floorings include the history of Guinness marketing and include an interactive exhibit on accountable drinking. The seventh flooring houses the Gravity Bar with views of Dublin and where visitors might drink a pint of Guinness included in the cost of admission.
The Arthur Guinness Business Centre on the 3rd and fourth floorings of the Storehouse is an area with training and conference facilities. It provides a number of events places with catering for 20 to 1,000 individuals.
The Guinness Archive (https://pavingcontractorsdublin.com) is based at the Storehouse and includes records dating from the 1759 lease of the Brewery and photos, film, video, memorabilia, posters, maps, bottles, and artifacts documenting the history of the Guinness company, brand and items in Ireland.
Learn more about Dublin Castle