COST OF PATIO PAVING IRELAND
People mostly ask, how costly patio paving is. Cost is dependent on value. A service or good might have a high price but is not costly. In fact, it might be relatively cheap due to the value of the good or service. In comparison to the high-quality products, we use at Paving Contractors Dublin, and the value of our work, we can assure you that in Ireland we are the most cost-effective patio paving company. For your garden, walkway, and general landscape beautification, you have come to the right place.
There is a patio paving type that is suitable for your house, company, garden, driveway, and even your budget. Browse on to pick the most suitable paving type for you. A list of various patio paving types with their price range has been compiled in this article to make your planning easier and stress-free.
Average Patio Cost
Patio paving averagely cost between 40 to 140 euros per square meter depending on the material used and the level of technicality of pavement design.
The compound and driveway of a property are very important in creating a good impression of the property, business, or property owner. Paving your driveway creates a welcoming atmosphere and improves the value of your property. Tarmac is one of the most widely used pavers for driveways.
What is Patio Paving?
Paving is the covering of an outdoor floor with durable materials such as concrete, granite, and marble. Patio surface paving in addition to its aesthetic appeal improves property value. Paving of your garden and patio provides an appealing outdoor space that could be used for picnics, outdoor events, hangouts, and other social gatherings. Paving your patio converts your outdoor space into a gorgeous lucrative space.
There are diverse types of pavers used in garden paving and it might be daunting to select the one for you. That’s why we are here to guide you. We have compiled a couple of paving types with their cost, highlighting the strengths and limitations of each paver. This will make your decision-making hassle-free.
Natural Stones As Pavers
Natural stones have been used since ancient times and are still in use today because of their timeless strength and beauty. Commonly used natural stones for patio paving are limestone, sandstone, granite, marble, slate, and travertine.
With natural stone paving, you can achieve an antique traditional look or a contemporary trendy style. Natural stones are products of years of mineral decomposition and as such, they are stronger than their concrete counterparts. With time, pavers derived from natural stones look better whilst retaining their integrity. Natural stone pavers can stand the test of time. They are also environmentally friendlier than their manmade counterparts as they are processed with machines requiring low energy.
Sandstone Patio Paving Cost
Sandstone is a sedimentary rock processed and used as pavers. Sandstone pavers are not limited to only contemporary ideas alone. They are used in traditional designs also as they have an outstanding beauty endued on by nature itself. They come in various sizes and shapes and are very stylish. If stylish is what you are looking for, then sandstone paving is an excellent choice for you. Sandstone comes in many textures and designs.
In designing your garden or outdoor space with sandstone, you give your garden an authentic look. Sandstone is a natural stone so it gives a perfect blend of nature in one space. Sandstone adds warmth and since it is highly absorbent can also be used in indoor spaces. Sandstone tiles can be used to furnish living spaces, kitchens, hallways, and even bathrooms. Can be laid around swimming areas and ponds as it is non-slippery.
Sandstone is a beautiful natural floor covering that is popular for its distinctive style. Imitating the look of beach and desert sand, the gold, red, brown, and tan of this often multicolored stone can add the perfect decorative touch to a room. Paving with sandstone typically costs between 80 and 95 euros per square meter. The variance in the price range is due to the type of sandstone tile and the groundwork to be done.
- They are not slippery, have a firm grip. This makes them suitable and safe for areas that are prone to water spillage and humid regions.
- They are firm and durable.
- The slabs can easily be replaced in case of damage.
- They don’t go out of season. If you decide to change your garden or patio design they can easily be reused elsewhere and even recycled. Bonus point – they still have market value so you get to make some money.
- It can withstand harsh weather conditions and is more frost-resistant than concrete.
- Sandstone paving is durable yet workable.
- Sandstone is very unique. It provides a widely unique range based on its natural properties. It varies in color, from a desert effect to a beach effect and everything in-between. The color hue can be very subtle yet distinct. It also has a wide variety of textures. Two patios designed with sandstone can hardly ever be the same. Every design is unique in and of itself.
- Easier to work around than marble and granite hence can be cut into interesting shapes of choice. Can be worked on to bring your dream design to life.
- Long-lasting and stronger than a lot of man-made options.
- Is environmentally friendly has it is biodegradable, recyclable, and the manufacturing process has close to no damage to the environment.
- Sandstone is affordable.
- Sandstone is a relatively soft rock, and as such is prone to scratches from claws, sharp objects, and high heels. Don’t be alarmed, sandstone is installed in tiles so a damaged piece can be easily replaced without offsetting the whole layout.
- Though they can be easily stained due to its absorbent quality especially lighter shades, it is easily washable with a pressured washer without losing its appeal and luster.
Limestone Patio Paving Cost
Limestone is similar to sandstone but with a flatter surface and is usually found in darker colors giving a feel of bold elegance. Is smoother when split which makes limestone more suitable than sandstone for a uniform contemporary look. Limestone is not prone to cracking and discoloration.
Limestone is a natural stone formed by years of pressure. This gives limestone rigidity and strength that allows it to withstand pressure when made into pavers. Suitable to use with furniture giving your outdoor space an ultra-modern look. The regality of limestone is synonymous with none other. Limestone paving costs between 85 euros to 95 euros.
- Limestone paving is highly durable and therefore suitable for use in high-traffic areas.
- Ecologically friendly.
- Requires low maintenance.
- Limestone has a natural surface gloss and texture that makes it slip-resistant even without sealants. Limestone paving dries quickly and still maintains its slip resistance when wet.
- Has low water absorbance which makes it difficult for ice or algae to damage the stone.
- Is more workable than marble hence, can be cut into desired size and shape.
- Limited color variety.
- The lighter shade of limestone, as well as sandstone, is more porous. This can lead to staining retention, as well as algae and moss growth which results in loss of aesthetic value and holding ability of the paver. It becomes slippery.
Travertine Paving Cost
Travertine, which is a sedimentary rock is a member of the limestone family chiefly containing precipitates of calcium carbonate. Travertine paving has a clean and pure outlook when laid. Patios paved with travertine usually have a serene, peaceful, regal look of innocence. Travertine paved patios reflect luxury, class, and strength in a cool and chill manner. Travertine has been used in buildings since ancient times and has been found to stand the test of time through changing weather conditions. Travertine as a paver has a universal appeal.
Travertine is an attractive natural stone that comes in various colors, textures, shapes, and designs with varying options of finishing. This contributes to the uniqueness of travertine paving ensuring a distinctiveness in your patio, garden, pathway, pool, or indoor design that is solely yours.
Pure travertine is white, the stunning range of subtle colors is due to natural impurities. This makes travertine ideal for creating subtle pavers for a garden, outdoor and indoor spaces. Travertine unlike other floor tiles is naturally strong – has an inbuilt strength. They don’t break, crack or chip easily. Therefore, travertine pavers can withstand a beating whilst still retaining their quality.
Travertine is suitable for the outdoors because it can weather the storm. It is capable of shouldering different elements such as rain, snow, and extreme heat. Travertine is naturally slip-resistant and porous. Travertine paving costs between 110 to 140 euros per square meter.
- Its lightly textured non-slip finish makes travertine ideal for pool areas.
- Has timeless beauty that transforms a boring space into one of prestige.
- Travertine withstands beating without damages like scratches or cracks.
- Easy to repair and replace damaged or worn-out tiles.
- Travertine is a natural stone which processing is not complicated and is environmentally friendly.
- Not as expensive as marble and other natural stones.
- Its functionality is multifaceted as it is useful both indoors and outdoors. Can withstand heavy foot traffic and force of vehicles. This makes it suitable for driveways.
- Sealing is important to make it stain resistant, prevent dirt accumulation, and preserving the original appearance of travertine.
- Can be compromised by acids in direct contact with its surface. Mild cleaning agents’ should be used to prolong the lifespan of travertine.
- Travertine can be quite heavy. Transportation and installation are a little bit tricky. And should be done by trusted professionals.
Gravel Patio & Gravel Driveway Cost
Gravel is made from natural stones and helps control erosion. Gravel is durable, has a good gripping effect, and is not slippery. There are different types of gravel patio. Paving of patio with gravel gives an earthy feel and brings you close to nature.
Gravel driveways require relatively frequent maintenance due to vehicle pressure and indentation. The gravel patio is not very furniture-friendly as gravel shifts around and can be displaced. Rough to walk on barefooted. Gravel walkways and paths can easily fit into most types of design outlook. Gravel patio paving costs between 45 to 65 euros per square meter based on the gravel type and level of technicality required.
The seeming ease of installation might trick people into believing that gravel can be installed by everybody. It is best installed by highly skilled competent, and experienced professionals as found in PAVNG CONTRACTORS DUBLIN. We choose the most suitable gravel type – texture, color and size, and installation method based on the effect to be achieved, the purpose of installation, installation area – walkways, driveway or patio, and safety.
- Cost friendly
- Gravel is very absorbent. So water drains through easily, hence important in erosion control.
- Easy flexibility. Can be used in a space of any size and shape. Not restricted based on design or irregularities of the outdoor space.
- Easily maintained
- Ease of installation
- If deeply installed, provides cushioning effect for swings of children.
- Can be used with other paver types.
- Easy to clean up after pets.
- It is a good material for keeping plants bed weed-free and moist.
- Gravel can be dislodged from its position so can be found in different places in the compound.
- Walking difficulty because of its looseness.
- Not safe for children in cases of falls.
- Snow removal is difficult.
How to Maintain a Gravel Patio
- Creating an edge barrier limits the risks of displacement.
- A firm base reduces the shifting effect of gravel and prolongs lifespan.
Cost of Pea Gravel
Pea gravel is unique in its size and texture. It is small, smooth, and has a genuine beauty. The smooth surface of pea gravel makes it comfortable to walk barefooted. Pea gravel will compact over time especially when under constant pressure. Patios paved with pea gravel has a cozy, classy yet casual feel. Does not work well with the furniture as it tends to sink into the soil over time and would therefore need constant replenishing.
There is a medium difficulty of snow removal. Light snow can be melted with snow while heavy snow layers should be shoveled till a thin layer is left and then melted with salt. Water and moisture drain into the soil underneath easily. A ton of pea gravel costs about 55 euros.
Concrete Patio & Concrete Driveway Cost
Concrete is a mixture of cement, limestone, and coloring agent. Concrete paving can be used to achieve a rugged design and feel as well as a patterned, puzzling effect. Concrete paving generally costs between 40 to 70 euros per square metre.
Concrete paving is in different forms. There are the concrete blocks, the interlocking blocks, and the flooring system. Concrete blocks come in different sizes, shapes, designs, and colors. This variety gives a spice to concrete paving. Different color tones can be incorporated together to give it a unique appearance. Concrete paving is a good way to incorporate traditional with a modern look.
When concrete blocks are not well fixed and aligned, weeds could grow and there could be cracks and breakage of the concrete pavers. Paving Contractors Dublin, are patient professionals that take proper care to ensure that the concretes are rightly and tightly fitted in a compact form to prevent cracks and weed outgrow.
- Concrete is recyclable.
- Due to its strength and durability, it is an excellent choice for driveway paving.
- Concrete is resistant to cooling and thawing effect.
- Little maintenance is needed for concrete pavers.
- If you are on a tight budget, concrete pavement can fit your need as it is not expensive.
- High-quality concrete pavers have a life span of between 40 to 50 years.
- It has reduced slip hazards.
- It is relatively easy to lay and repair.
- Wear and tear effect – Concrete wears off with time. The color fades and the clean finished surface is eroded giving it an old, worn-out appearance.
- If not tightly fitted and sealed, concrete blocks can shift in position.
Imprinted Concrete Cost Per Square Metre
Imprinted concrete is a concrete paving type on which a pattern is imprinted on. It cost between 65 to 80 euros per square meter. Concrete slabs cost between 65 to 75 euros per square metre.
Tarmac Driveway Paving Cost
Tarmac paving is a very practical choice for driveways, parking lots, and airways. Tarmacadam majorly shortened to tarmac is widely used for driveway paving due to its ability to withstand high traffic and heavy vehicles such as trucks. The tarmac is tar mixed and coated with crushed stones. Its price and durability make it one of the most preferred driveway options.
Easy to install as it is plain and free from patterns and it dries up quickly so your driveway can get completed shortly without too many obstructions. The cost of tarmac driveway installation is between 50 to 75 euros.
- Tarmac can survive the worst of weather conditions from constant and heavy rainfall to extreme heat.
- The black color which is the most popularly used tarmac color makes it easy for tarmac to blend in or contrast well with almost all design types.
- Tarmac gives beauty in simplicity and can be bordered by bricks or other pavers to improve its aesthetic appeal.
- Safe to use in slopes and areas prone to erosion as tarmac does not run into rivers and waterways like some other building materials, due to its ability to solidify very quickly.
Construction and maintenance of tarmac
Tarmac construction requires heavy equipment and tools, skill, and experience. It is labor-intensive. Tarmac processing and installation are not difficult for experienced professionals. One of the advantages of choosing Paving Contractors Dublin is the over 20 years of experience that we bring to the table. For long-lasting tarmac paving, a good underlay and proper drainage system are very important. Generally, tarmac driveways require minimal upkeep, majorly basic cleanliness practices.
- The tarmac driveway needs a good drainage system to prevent the buildup of surface water.
- Tarmac can be destroyed by diesel, petrol, and other automotive oils that can dissolve the binder in the tarmac.
- Is not recyclable therefore not reusable.
- Algae and moss can grow on tarmac especially in an area that retains moisture or are under the shade of trees which can cause the driveway to be slippery.
- Weeds can grow on and through tarmac driveways most especially when there are cracks.
- Proper and regular cleaning of tarmac driveways can prevent and mitigate the growth of moss, algae, and fungi. Fixing cracks as quickly as they are formed is important to prevent the germination of weeds.
Marble Patio Paving Cost
Marble is an impressive natural stone extracted from the earth. Marble paving can form mosaic designs and is suitable for European weather. With proper care, marble can maintain its strength and beauty over an extended time frame. Marble paver has a sleek look that can be incorporated to fit into any style – traditional or contemporary of your property. Marble pavements expose dust, dirt, and pollens making it easy to wipe off and maintain a clean state. Marble is more porous than some other natural stones and can stain quite easily.
- Marble is heat resistant and has been used over time to cool down living spaces. Under direct sunlight, marble tiles are usually cool. Marble is a good insulator.
- Marble paving is highly durable.
- Is hard and can bear heavy weights so it’s suitable for high traffic areas.
- Marble pavers come in varieties of styles and textures.
- Requires sealing and regular resealing to preserve its integrity.
- Compared to other natural stones like granite, marble is a soft stone and is prone to scratches.
- Needs regular maintenance. And can be damaged by acids.
- Marble is a fairly expensive natural stone.
- Marble tiles are slippery when wet.
Asphalt Driveway Paving Cost
Asphalt a solid paving choice though similar to tarmac has very distinct differences one of which is the difference in chemical composition. The tar in tarmacadam is replaced with bitumen a byproduct of petroleum distillation. Asphalt as well as tarmac is economical when installed over a large surface area but is expensive when installed over a small area.
This is because the same heavy machines and tools are used in both small and large space installation. Asphalt is also not advisable for use in small, awkwardly shaped spaces. Asphalt is largely used in the paving of parking spaces, freeways, running paths, roads, and driveways. Asphalt driveway paving costs between 45 to 60 euros per square metre.
- Asphalt has a smoother surface than tarmac paving which gives more skid resistance to road users making it safer than tarmac in this regard.
- Asphalt is faster to construct than some alternative pavement types like concrete.
- The flexibility of bitumen makes it easier for asphalt to repair itself in case of minor injuries, this improves its durability.
- Asphalt is recyclable and cost-efficient. If you are on a tight budget, asphalt paving gives you good quality at a low cost.
- Another advantage of using asphalt is that it absorbs noise. This reduces noise pollution especially in an area with high traffic.
- Asphalt pavement has to be resealed periodically every 3 to 5 years to increase shelf life.
- Bitumen is a petroleum derivative and hydrocarbons are released during asphalt manufacture leading to contamination.
- Is more prone to cracks that can cause potholes because it degrades under ultraviolet light. Cracks can easily be fixed by overlaying the current asphalt driveway. Cracks’ potential can be reduced if asphalt is properly prepared, mixed, and laid. Repairing damaged asphalt pavement is inexpensive.
Porcelain Patio Paving Cost
Porcelain is a beautiful manmade alternative to natural stones made of natural materials to suit the modernized standard of living. Porcelain paving is elegant and classy. It can withstand as much weight as its natural counterparts making it not only suitable for residential purposes but also commercially. It is important to note that smooth does not equal slippery.
Even when wet, porcelain retains a firm grip. Porcelain though smooth has enhanced slip resistance. Comfortable to walk on even barefooted. Porcelain is consistent in its characteristics with time. Time does not reduce the quality and sleek appearance of quality porcelain paving.
It retains its elegance even after decades with minimal maintenance as it is fade-proof even from sun radiation. It is resistant to severe and sudden weather changes as well as temperature changes. Porcelain paving is classic yet practical and costs between 110 euros and 150 euros.
- Porcelain is non-absorbent and non-porous which makes it resistant to stains. Spillages are easily wiped off with a damp cloth leaving the porcelain clean and shiny.
- The resistance of porcelain to acid, fertilizers, and other chemicals increases its durability.
- Porcelain is also scratch-proof, making it highly durable and easy to maintain.
- No sealants are required in the finishing and installation of porcelain pavers. Porcelain is naturally resistant to mildew, moss, algae, and fungi growth. When laid by experts such as we have at Paving Contractors Dublin, it prevents the growth of weeds.
- Available in various sizes, colors, and designs.
- It is an excellent choice as it resists fire spread, as porcelain is resistant to fire.
- Porcelain is economical in that it requires little maintenance to prolong its lifespan.
- An additional advantage of porcelain over natural stones is uniformity. If you want a uniform design that is difficult to achieve with natural stones, porcelain is an excellent choice.
- Porcelain is also lighter in weight than natural stones which make transporting it easier and cost-efficient.
- Porcelain is durable and works well with various furniture types. Porcelain can be used both outdoors and indoors. Porcelain comes in various designs, so your outdoor space can be unique to you with designs ranging from a calm cool feel to a burst of bright, vibrant colors. Porcelain paving can also be used to achieve a feeling of sophistication or achieve a rustic appeal for your garden, patio, pathway, driveway, and indoor space. Porcelain is a humble servant to your creativity.
- The rigidity of porcelain makes it more difficult to be creative with. Cutting into various shapes and sizes is tricky to achieve.
- Porcelain is brittle. Care must therefore be taken in the movement of porcelain to prevent cracks and breaks most especially around the edges to ensure a clean, closed, and perfect installation.
- More expensive than natural stones and concrete pavers during original installation but the little maintenance needed to retain its original appearance makes it much more economical.
- In case of a repair, replacing a damaged porcelain tile with another is difficult except you have some left from the original installation. Repairing is also more expensive than ceramics.
- Your purchase, design, and installation of porcelain pavers should only be done by highly-skilled, experienced, and trustworthy professionals. At Paving Contractors Dublin, we take proper care in ensuring that your patio or garden tiled with porcelain is done cleanly and creatively. Care is taken from the choice of porcelain to be used, to transport and installation.
Garden Fencing Cost
Fencing your garden provides privacy, security and enhances the comeliness of your garden making it not just a garden but a sanctuary. It also increases the value and market price of not just your garden but your property as a whole. Fencing costs between 150 to 200 euros based on the preparation need, fencing material, and type of fencing.
There are various fencing methods and types to suit your garden style. Some of which are;
Timber fencing: Available in many unique, cute, traditional, modern, classy styles depending on the outlook you want to create. You can incorporate one or more styles to create a garden fence just for you. Timber fencing is cost-effective, blends into the natural beauty of your garden, take up less space, and does not dry up the ground around it retaining soil moisture.